Long Staff – The father of all Weapons
The Long staff (pinyin “gun”, pronounced “kun”, also known as “bo” in Japanese Karate) is the first weapon a student should learn. It is the strongest because of its length, but also one of the first weapons man learned to use from the beginning of hunting. There are so many reasons why this weapon is one the best in the Martial Arts panorama:
- it’s simple: you can build it by yourself.
- it’s cheap: pick up a stick and start training!
- it’s extremely efficient: because of its length, it can handle several opponents if properly used.
- it’s noble: it can kill, but it can also keep the opponent away.
- it won’t hurt you (much) if you “stuff up”: compared to a sword, it’s certainly worthy the risk.
- it’s still useful if it breaks: two shor sticks, in fact, are still a powerful set of weapon.
- it’s pure fun: acrobatics movements are particularly enjoyable to learn.
Because of the above reasons, every traditional Martial Arts school has it in its training program. Another important reason to learn the Long Staff is the ability to switch to more advanced weapons such as the three section staff and the spear, by virtue of the fact that basic movements are just the same.
Long Staff – Frequently Asked Questions
Ready to start training? Why don’t you make your own training stick? Check this out!